Sunday, June 11, 2017

Milan (again)

If you're keeping track this should be my fourth trip to Milan so far this tour, and probably it will be my last (though you never know with TDYs).  I visited Expo, toured the Duomo and saw the Galleria, eaten aperitivos all over town, and had a great walking tour of all the fancy modern architecture.  This time I didn't do a lot of touristing but I made it a priority to at least hit the art museum.

The Pinacoteca di Brera is Milan's most famous art museum and it was really lovely. I saw works by Raphael (this time around I wasn't a huge fan), Modigliani, Picasso, Caravaggio and plenty of other artists whose works I was familiar with, even if I couldn't name them directly.  I'm getting familiar enough with their styles now that I even recognized the Caravaggio as one of his works from a room away. I guess that's how you know you're ready to PCS.

Some of my favorites were:


It looks SO MUCH like she's texting in this painting - and do you notice the painting on the wall?


Turns out the collection has this one too! The Kiss, by Hayez. Zoom in to see how amazingly real the fabric appears.


Severini - I think this was my favorite in the museum. I'm really starting to enjoy modern art. Must be the influence of all that modern architecture.


Reminds me of one of my favorite artists, Miguel Covarrubias


The Modigliani


Many of the works were on a truly massive scale and as they were originally commissioned for churches.  This also meant that the subjext matter here tended very heavily (except in the modern art section) to religious subject matter.


And of course, our old favorite, St. Sebastian. This time in Venice!






No comments:

Post a Comment