Sunday, May 7, 2017

Villa Medici


I visited the Villa Medici (located near the top of the Spanish steps) last week with friends. The house and grounds are beautiful but I'd recommend a few other museums first if you are looking for something historic but off the beaten path (chiefly the Villa Borghese and Galleria Doria Pamphilj). Still, happy to check this off my Rome list and see some lovely architecture so close to my home!

The rear facade (visible from inside the grounds only)

The family collected artwork, much of which was relocated to Florence and is now on display at the Uffizi Gallery, though a few pieces remain.

The lion represents the Pope 
They have modern artists residing on site who reinterpret some of the existing works. I really dislike the dirty hairball attached to this statue but take comfort in the fact that it will eventually be removed.

The Niads... There's a story but I wasn't paying attention.

More Niads! The gardens are really lovely and constitute the majority of the guided tour 

I want to decorate my room like this. It's pretty subtle right?

No comments:

Post a Comment