Sunday, February 12, 2017

2017 Resolutions

Hello again!

Taking a page from a fellow FS blogger*, I'm posting my New Year's Resolutions for a little accountability. So here goes. In 2017 I swear that I will make every effort to:
  • Be a better communicator - Write to family on their birthdays, send actual letters, respond quicker to invites... All that good stuff
  • Know the Hatch Act, live the Hatch Act.  Seriously though, I plan this year to be a more reponsible (read: active) participant in our great democracy. I plan to do something to support causes I believe in at least once a week. 
  • Finish three or four more books in Italian - I already have Jhumpa Lahiri's In Altre Parole mostly finished and I also intend to finish the last three by Elena Ferrante (I read the first already this year)
  • Cook seafood. I've always been intimidated by seafood but no more! Spaghetti con vongole (clams) and calamari are on the menu.
  • Also on the cooking front - learn to can food
  • Go sailing (bonus points if I manage to take a course)
  • Travel - two new countries, two new states, two new Italian cities
  • Finally go to Tuba Christmas in DC
  • Have friends over for dinner more often
  • Find a solid volunteering gig in DC and stick with it
  • Learn how to make a really kick-ass cappucino before leaving Italy
  • Be able to play level 4 (will have to explain this later) songs on the piano and actually sight read
I realize not all of these are SMART (Specific, Measurable, etc) but they get at my larger ideals for the year - squeezing every last drop out of my time in Italy, investing more in my community and loved ones, and continuing to challenge myself with new skills.

What are you planning for 2017 faithful readers?


*Thanks fellow blogger for the inspiration, I'm glad you're writing again!


No comments:

Post a Comment