Welcome to Ischia!
If you're thinking of a trip to Italy and want Capri without the crowds this is probably as close as you can get. It's actually been awhile since I visited but just remember to post about it now. I'd highly recommend a long weekend there. I'd also recommend that you rent a bright red Vespa while you're there. And wear a fancy 1950's sun dress and big glasses. And carry a great big purse with an adorable lap dog in it. (This is that kind of place.)
So, what to do in Ischia:
- Visit the above castle (during the day of course, though it was beautiful to see at night).
- Shop! There are a ton of shopping possibilities on the main drag.
- Sit on the beach!
- Visit one of the thermal baths. We tried Negombo (bonus points for the very Sri Lankan name!) and it was fantastic. It's not a 'bath' in the ancient Roman sense, but more of a low-impact water park. I highly recommend it but naturally took no photos.
- Explore the charming interior of the island by (small) car or motorino.
- Do some boating. You know, if you brought your boat...