Sunday, January 24, 2016

Quartiere Coppede

Well, I sure did enjoy the freedom of not blogging there for a bit, but all week I've been itching to get out there and explore. I didn't end up having to go far either. The Quartiere Coppede is actually near my apartment and it's quite the little architectural hidden gem.

In fact, the name is a bit misleading, I thought a quartiere would be bigger, like a quarter of the city big. (A reasonable assumption, no?) in fact it's mostly one quirky little piazza and the streets radiating from it - one block in each direction. I'll skip the historical background, which you can read more of if you're interested here or here. Instead let me just throw a bunch of pictures at you like always!

First, the center of it all, the Frog Fountain. 

Can't see the frogs? Neither could I. I actually had to get right up to the fountain and search a bit. (Now that I write this I'm noticing that there are frogs on top of the fountain as well, but us short people can't be expected to notice stuff that high off the ground...) Turns out they're a little the worse for wear but still vaguely recognizable if you know what you're looking at. 

See it now?

Frogs aren't the only animals on display. You can also find plenty of lions...


Bees...


Seahorses...


Bees...


Snails...


And even more bees...

Can you spot them?

Seriously, there's a weird conspiracy going on with bees. If you don't believe me check out my post on Milan and Expo.

All of these intricate architectural details of course have to actually be attached to something. In this case that something is a group of 5-10 gorgeously maintained buildings covered from foundation to roof in decorations, religious scenes, and probably symbolic animal motifs. My big favorites were this one:

And the one that forms an unofficial entrance to the quartiere:

Talk about creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment