Monday, October 5, 2015

Tivoli

Wow! Has it really been two weeks since my last post? This tour is flying by and obviously I am having zero trouble keeping myself busy. And of course, it would not be a true foreign service move if I wasn't still struggling to get internet sorted out at my house five weeks after my arrival.

So what's new in Rome?
First off, I had my first visit (friend-del #1) which went well. I'll post some pictures from that trip shortly, but for today, suffice to say it was great to see a friend from the Lagos days and explore the city like a tourist for a change.

Second, work has been busy and my evenings have been - if possible - even busier. I do enjoy receptions, but by the end of this week I was truly exhausted and so happy to spend the whole day today being antisocial and mostly sedentary. ;)

Third, fall happened! Rome is beautiful in the fall, if a bit rainy, and I'm enjoying the crisp smell in the air. I've also noticed now that the weather is cold how few of my work clothes are appropriate for low temperatures (doesn't help that I'm still waiting on the shipment with all my coats and jackets in it). I guess I'll just have to go shopping soon. Poor me!

Finally, I'm very slowly working my way through the tourist attractions in the area and this weekend I dragged some friends to see the town of Tivoli. You can get there in an hour by train and there are 2-3 big sights to visit. First, Villa Adriana, which is kind of out of town. This is a very old site of a Roman villa and gardens, mostly now in ruins. It was nice, though it was a big site with lots of uphill walking so I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with mobility issues.

There's also the more famous (and much better preserved) Villa d'este in town. I highly recommend a visit as it's one of the most beautiful places I've seen in Italy so far, and the tourist crowds were a lot smaller than in Rome.

Finally, there's the Villa Gregoriana, whcih I guess is a park with ruins inside. We didn't have time to visit this weekend but I'm sure I'll be back.

The town of Tivoli was also just really nice and relaxing and apparently there is a thermal spa. Keep this in mind if you're planning a visit!

And now, the obligatory photos.



Villa Adriana
Villa Adriana
View from the Villa d'Este
Gardens, Villa d'Este
Biggest fountain, Villa d'Este
My favourite fountain, Villa d'Este
Another view of the same
Detailing on the side of the Villa d'Este




No comments:

Post a Comment