Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Last

This is it, I'm so close to my departure I can just about taste the peppermint mocha at Hartsfield-Jackson. I am packing out next week and flying the next. All the complicated tasks related to departure - getting my travel orders approved, setting up housing for my time in training, putting together my EER points - have been taken care of. I compare that part of the process to a child, climbing up to the top of a very big slide. Now is the easy part - I just have to coast to the bottom. Except, of course, for packing out, but that's a stress headache for another day.

In the meantime I am happily doing lots of 'last' things. I did my last race on a lightning (monohull sailboat) - it was thoroughly awesome. I'm planning on a last hobie cat race on my last weekend here. I ate my last suya (will probably break down and eat another last suya later, knowing me). I took one last trip to Balogun market, where I bought two very awesome fabrics which will be gifts if I can stand to part with them. I signed up for my last field society trip - stay tuned! Even better, I've finished my last week of opening officer (where one has to be at work at 6am every day to open the office) and my last week as duty officer (where one answers all the calls that come in after hours).

I've also started the freeing process of divesting myself of all that extra stuff I don't need. First and foremost, I sold my car - well, presold it I guess, I'm not giving it up till I'm on the way to the airport. I'm also getting rid of a lot of little things but there's nothing too inspiring in the pack. It hasn't been a big shopping tour as you probably could've guessed.

For awhile all this moving flurry left me a little bit off-kilter (I went through something similar two years ago before leaving for Nigeria). But thankfully the mopey, don't-want-to-say-goodbye phase seems to be over.  I would call this new phase 'packing and partying' and I like the sound of that a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment