Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Home leave part 1

Well, that's it - two years in Nigeria in the bag. Now I'm happily settled in at my folks' place as most of my readers already know. I am so grateful that I was able to make it home for the holidays this year. As my bosses have said, the government will never love you back - so a seemingly simple request to be with family over the holidays is definitely not guaranteed to be granted.

Christmas itself was lovely, but I've found home leave to be a little surreal. For the most part, it doesn't feel like I've finished my time in Nigeria. It's hard to imagine that I won't see Lagos again soon (or maybe ever). And it's very sad to think how long it will be until I see most of my Lagos friends next.

On the other hand, it's awesome having a break when there's nothing hanging over your head. I don't have to think about halfway finished projects or stress about upcoming heavy workloads. And I have finally started to get excited about Italy. Not that I wasn't happy with the assignment before, it's just that it didn't feel real. I've told people - only somewhat in jest - that I'll believe they're sending me to Rome when I land in Rome and not before. And given the number of people I've met who've had assignments pulled based on the needs of the service I still feel like that's a wise position to take. But surely it isn't too early to browse recipes for Italian food or look up villages in Tuscany right?

And I do owe the internet at large a couple wrap up posts about Nigeria. No promises on timing though. I intend to enjoy this brief period of joblessness to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment