Friday, October 3, 2014

R&R

It's that time again! Time to get the heck out of dodge and back to 'murica for a reminder of where all those American citizens go in their off-time (when they aren't calling and emailing and visiting our section).

I am more than a little ready for this visit. It's been 10 months since I was last in the US - in that time I've been to Togo and Namibia, South Africa and Ethiopia (and of course an awful lot of Nigeria) and while those vacations were great I'm very ready for an easy vacation this time and nothing is easier than crashing on your parents' couch, right? I have big plans for eating, shopping and visiting and spending time with all my favorite people.

The only thing standing between me and home is 25 hours of travel time including my 'love-to-hate-it' favorite, Muhammed Murtala International Airport right here in Lagos. In truth it isn't that bad. There's running water and electricity. It's relatively clean. You can buy snacks. It's just kind of depressing. Added to that is the fact that all the flights leave around 10-11 pm yet you have to have checked in by 7 or 8 at the latest so most people spend a very long time on all those sad, non air-conditioned benches watching the ceiling drip.

Still, it could be a lot worse. I could be traveling with toddlers. I could be carting along a pet. Or even worse, I could be a private citizen having to navigate the whole system without an expediter. (Shudder) I'd say 'what's the worst that could happen', but I'm not sure I'd like to know. So I'll just count my blessings and keep my head down.

And to my faithful readers - I'll see most of you on the other side. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment