Sunday, September 28, 2014

Update

Yikes!

It's been two weeks since I last posted - apologies to the few readers who follow the blog often enough to have noticed. Needless to say I've been busy.  The last time you heard from me I had just come back from a very awesome whale watching trip off the coast. Life has been pretty uneventful since then. Work has slowed down a ton. Ironically my section now has twice as many officers! (Easy enough to accomplish in a one-officer section.) It's been very nice to have someone to bounce ideas off and I think we'll be able to really improve some of our services now that it isn't just one officer tied to the desk all day.

Last weekend due to some road closures and detours I had a very unexpected trip to the mainland, which was made extra nerve-wracking because I wasn't supposed to be there and didn't have my phone with me to call for assistance. Total gridlock in one direction prevented me from getting home the way I'd come, and my map doesn't include the mainland, so I was well and truly stuck. After a moment of panic I came to my senses and realized that there was an easy way out. I called out the window to some random guys (there are always random guys hanging around in Nigeria) and asked them to hire me a taxi. I paid him an ungodly amount (for Nigeria of course) to drive very slowly in front of my and lead me back to familiar turf. Looking back it was actually kind of an interesting trip - I certainly saw a lot of places I would never otherwise have seen - but not one I plan to make again, at least not on my own.

This Saturday I went sailing in the Hobie (catamaran) Nationals. It's a bit of an inflated name for the race -considering that we're the only sailing club in the country and so it was basically the exact same group of people we sail against every week - but they made up for the small pool of competitors by putting together a grueling course. There were 4 races, plus a very long trip just to get out to the race area and I can't remember the last time I've been this exhausted. Even the next morning I was still too tired to stand up while brushing my teeth, or get dressed without resting half-way through. About the only thing I do have the energy to do is sit at the computer and type this blog post! (With plenty of breaks of course.) But as I joked with a friend - going sailing is a lot like being pregnant. As long as I know I'll be on the water that weekend I can eat like I'm eating for two!

Coming up next is my very long-anticipated trip back to the states for R&R. I'm loving my time here in Nigeria but that certainly hasn't stopped me from missing home and family and all the rest. And when I get back from R&R I'll have only two months left at post. Time is flying now and I feel like I'm halfway out the door already.

No comments:

Post a Comment