Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Things I've eaten in Nigeria that might raise some eyebrows

First, giant snail, or Achatina Fulica - native to East Africa but very much present in Nigeria. These lovely little guys can grow up to around 7 inches long (though I assume that only counts the shell, judging from the picture below).  Wikipedia says it's an invasive species so I guess Nigerians are just doing their part to keep the population in check.  This delicacy was served to me by a king - it was a bit cold, so I'm going to give it another go later, but based on my first experience I would describe it as edible, yet forgettable.
(picture from here)

Second, grasscutter, otherwise known as the Greater Cane Rat. It's a rat native to Sub-Saharan Africa that can grow up to two feet long and weighs more than my dog. Here's a picture.
http://albaeco.com/sdu/23/htm/main.htm
(Picture from here)
Believe it or not this was one of the dishes on offer at the Radisson today. They had all the normal stuff too of course, but who could resist trying the local specialty? Right guys? ....
 
There it is. Exotic and glamorous life of a U.S. diplomat.
 
 
So who's hungry?
 

1 comment:

  1. we've got silkworms (still in cocoon stage) and sea cucumber up here in Shenyang, fortunately managed to avoid both up until this point.

    ReplyDelete