Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lagos Living - Sanitation Saturday

One of the quirks of living in Lagos is the phenomenon known as sanitation Saturday (I may have mentioned this before but I'm too lazy to go back and check).  Once per month the government basically grounds the entire city of Lagos for 3 hours on a Saturday morning. Absolutely no cars(without police permission), no pushcarts, no hawkers; everyone is supposed to be at home cleaning up. I do wonder how much actually cleaning goes on, but the sentiment is appreciated.

Really, it isn't so inconvenient - Saturday morning isn't usually my most productive time anyway. I sleep in, make pancakes, read a bit and before I know it the peace and quiet is over and it's time to get on with life. I'd love to hear how the average Nigerian likes the policy though.

For all its charms, I think this is an idea that doesn't have a lot of transferability. Can you imagine what would happen to the politician who tried to tell Americans they weren't allowed to leave their houses?
No cars. Is this really Lagos?


2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome blog. I just received an email to indicate that I had been chosen as a finalist. So, I have the written exam coming up in about two weeks. Is it possible to have you email address so that I can ask you a couple of specific questions? Thanks for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure!
    Send your questions to me at JenniferJDC@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete