Monday, February 17, 2014

Lagos Living - the Lottery

I'm excited to finally have more pictures of Lagos to post here. I'm not sure why it took me so long to start getting out and about - I guess Nigeria is just a challenging place to live - but now that I do I've been making a list in my head of everything that sums up Nigeria for me and trying to get a picture of all those things. I'll try to make this a bit of a series, but we'll see how long I stick with that!

So first off - the lottery

I've seen these boards around town for ages and someone explained to me early on that they are lottery records, but it took me until now to actually have a closer look.

Even after visiting the board and amassing a small crowd of helpful teachers, I'm still not sure I understand how the process works. I know the most important part though! You show up with your cash and pick some numbers. Then, somehow (this is where our communication broke down), a number is chosen and the winners may or may not be notified (couldn't figure that out either). Or maybe they just stop by and check to see if their number won? I may never know because I'm too lazy to walk all the way back in the heat. As with most gambling it struck me as an unwise investment, but they clearly have quite the customer base since there seems to be one of these boards on every street in town.


Are you feeling pre-lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment