Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Here's to 2014

Sometimes Nigeria still surprises me.

Today I was feeling a bit homesick. I think it was the combination of my buddy/neighbor being gone, my upcoming R&R, spending a day home doing chores (yuck!) and just being on my own (and in my own head) too much lately.

But I took a walk this afternoon and it reminded me of all the things I like about living here. The friendliness of random strangers on the street, the smell of cooking fires that reminds me of barbeques back home, the Dr. Seussian African plants for sale on the sidewalk and dozens of glimpses of everyday life happening all around - it all just feels so familiar.

Not so familiar that I want to skip my R&R however.

I plan to spend two weeks eating everything, buying even more everything, and just relaxing with my family and friends. Very, very excited about that.


So on that note, Happy New Year!

In 2014 I'm looking forward to a second year at post and it's promising to be a good one. All my buddies are here and almost all the goodbyes are behind me. I've got some very awesome travel plans in the works. I get to rotate through some of the other parts of the consular section - and become a bit more well-rounded as a consular officer. And after a whole year making friends, figuring out how to survive in Lagos and making this place home I get to spend the next year enjoying all the fruits of that labor! So cheers! Hope your new year is looking bright too.

No comments:

Post a Comment