Saturday, December 28, 2013

The perils of shopping online

(Or rather, the perils of attempting to shop online from Nigeria.)

I don't know if you've heard, but Nigeria has a bit of a reputation. Something about fraud or internet scams, I'm not quite sure.

Anyway, that reputation - along with all the credit card and bank skittishness about allowing random transactions on my account from a new country every time they turn around means that purchasing Christmas gifts got a little complicated this year. It started with answering the security questions and the inevitable 'OMG your account has been hacked by a Nigerian who wants to buy Kill Bill volume 1 and 2!' and it ended with me scanning my life story to an accountant somewhere in Milwaukee (I assume). We'll see how that all goes. In the meantime, family - please try to keep your expectations manageable this holiday. I may end up purchasing all of your gifts with cash at the duty free if I can't convince the bank I'm not really a scammer. Who doesn't love a lollipop the size of their head, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment