Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tourist Attractions of Lagos, part 4: The Sacred Grove of Oshogbo

Earlier this month, on one of my suddenly many travels, I had the privilege to visit a site I've only ever heard about: The Sacred Grove of Osogbo (pronounced Oshogbo). The history here is completely fascinating. Osogbo is traditionally a Yoruba sacred place, and with some artistic interpretations of Yoruba beliefs added by an Austrian woman it has a very eclectic feel. I'd love to get into the history of it the site but I'm afraid you'd get a more thorough explanation from just googling it. What I can say is that it was a fantastic place to visit and easily one of the highlights of my time in Nigeria. I'd urge anyone living in Lagos (or spending more than a few days there) to make it a point to figure out your security requirements and move Oshogbo to the top of your 'must-see' list.
 
Below are just a few shots from my trip - I hope to post more when my internet cooperates.
 




(Oh, you're trying to take a picture? Too bad we all need to crowd right in front of you and then not even look at the artwork. *sigh*)


No comments:

Post a Comment