Sunday, August 4, 2013

Home

In a few days I'm heading home for my first R&R and I have to say, I am ready. When I first arrived at post I thought three R&Rs was a little extreme, but now I get it. After 7 months at post I have left the 'safety zone' a grand total of once (not counting the trips to and from the airport). It's not that there isn't a lot to do within our little corner of Lagos, it's just that it is a pretty little corner. I keep getting hints of the amazing country that's out there and it kills me to know I'm just scratching the surface.

Did you know that somewhere in the country there's a huge festival where hundreds of men jump into the river in a competition to catch the largest fish?
Picture from here.

Did you know there's a sacred forest in Oshogbo?
From here.

 
Did you know in Obudu there are cable cars up the mountain, and canopy walks, and a water park?
From here.
 
There are a thousand interesting things to see out there and at times I feel a little bit like the princess stuck in a tower. Yes, it's a nice tower, very comfortable and safe - but also a bit constricting.
 
I'm so close and yet so far away...
 
All this just to say, yes, I do feel that I need an R&R trip. I plan to spend my time doing all the things I don't/can't do here. I'll take public transportation and taxis, I'll use my Visa card. I'll drive wherever I want, whenever I want. I will walk on the street after dark, by myself and I won't ask anyone's permission. In short, it will be like that scene in Free Willy where the whale jumps over the seawall and the boy and swims off into the sunset.
 
Except of course in two weeks I'll be swimming back. But this time full of memories and home cooking and ready for more adventure.
 
Stay tuned for tales of the exotic Midwest.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment