Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bumped

Foiled again!

Despite arriving at the airport 2 1/4 hours before the flight was scheduled, there were no seats when I arrived. In the States when a flight is overbooked they ask for volunteers and offer them stuff in exchange for agreeing to take another flight. Here you just show up, e-ticket in hand, and are turned away at the door. I'm so disappointed but I can't say that it's a total surprise. As we say on the line whenever something goes wrong (basically every day) 'Lagos happened'.

So 5 hours after leaving home for the airport I trudged back in the door to my mostly empty refrigerator and flooded closet (that's a story for another day). I am first on the standby list for tonight's flight, because of course this is Lagos and the outgoing flights are few and far between. Cross your fingers for me that I'll actually get out of the country this time - even if I have to dress up as a flight attendant and hand out pretzels. I want a seat on that flight!

On the bright side, today is a local holiday (Eid al-Fitr), so I don't have to go to work. I can spend the day pretending I'm already on vacation. And stopping to smell the roses.
Or whatever that is. I'm not very good with flower identification...

No comments:

Post a Comment