Saturday, July 13, 2013

r.i.p. google reader

Not sure how many other people used google reader to follow their favorite blogs, but I know I did and it was a pain to switch over to a new service. I finally settled on Inoreader which I'm not exactly thrilled with. It's glitchy (some blogs update super slow, others right away; it doesn't sync well between devices, etc) and I can't embed it into my homepage so I have to make a special effort to check it out for updates. Not enjoying that.

Also, the day google reader went offline I noticed that my readership dropped about 60%. Not cool. I'm not sure how many of my old followers will take the time and trouble to follow with some other reader and it stinks to lose so much of my hard-earned audience.

*sigh*

Otherwise life is going really well though. Not sure if I wrote about our 4th of July here, but it was a big hit with the guests, many people said it was the best 4th of July party that the consulate has thrown. I got free Coldstone ice cream and met many of Nigeria's finest at the event so it was a hit with me too. And the best part is that we don't have to start planning for the next one for at least 6 months!

Rainy season appears to be taking a break and (I never thought I'd say this but...) it's about time. I love rain and storms and how green everything is, but I missed laying out by the pool, and soaking in the beautiful weather every day. Now that it's back to sunny days I've been spending as much time as I can outside. Even with my crazy-high SPF sunscreen I'm turning pretty brown. I can't come back from Africa without a tan, though, so it's a necessary transformation.

Finally, I'm headed back to the states for R&R #1 (out of three in a two year tour, because Lagos is that cool) in less than a month. I'm very excited to see the whole extended family for a reunion. And I might also be taking a class that I'm very excited about but I'll share the details of that after I get back.

I promise to post some more cultural/touristy stuff soon too.

And for those of you still reading after the great 'google reader fiasco', thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying everything! Miss you tons! If you get to DC let me know :)

    ReplyDelete