Sunday, December 30, 2012

The end...

...of 2012

Just a quick update - I'm at a bit of a standstill in my personal and professional life.

Rather than a top 10 of 2012 post (or top 12) I'll just stick with the top 10 things that I've been doing since I blogged last.

1) Over the holidays I ate an average of 5 cookies per day. I completely rediscovered my mom's corn flake wreaths.
2) I moved out of Oakwood and found the one and only hotel in DC that is available for half per-diem, within walking distance of main state, and offers a kitchenette.
3) Last night the police raided the hotel room next to mine. This may or may not explain the amazing deal I got on the room...
4) I ate oysters for the first time yesterday. Thanks to my friends who pointed out that my life wasn't complete without slurping down a few oysters at the raw bar. (You were right, they're delicious.)
5) I finally got to see my cousin - he's recently back from Afghanistan. The last time we saw each other he was in middle school. I guess that shows how often we all get together, doesn't it?
6) We had a Christmas that was almost entirely devoid of 'presents' in the traditional sense, but totally filled with blessings and generosity. I think I could get used to this no presents thing.
7) I spent an entire day doing distance learning at main state. Ugh.
8) I bought my dog a Santa suit and he wore it on Christmas. I am the world's best pet owner.
9) I got to hang out with all the grandparents, my folks, and my brother - the Paraguayan. I appreciated this opportunity even more knowing that I'll be so far from home for the next two years.
10) I realized this morning that when I wake up a week from now I'll be in Lagos.


Okay,and with that, I'll leave you.  Happy (almost) New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Which hotel is that? It would be useful for my next OA attempt.

    Thanks,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too! We love wreath cookies as well -- to make it even more simple and great for big gatherings we will butter down a pretty bunt pan and press the cornflake-marshmallowy goodness in there, flip it onto a pretty plate and then quickly decorate with the red hots in little groups of three. You get a pretty full wreath and people can just slice it with a knife to serve themselves. So yummy! and always a hit!

    Do we get a picture of your Santa-pup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky - it was the Quincy. They also have free wifi, a laundry machine for guests, and were just very nice people. I definitely recommend it.

    Nomads- that sounds like a dangerous recipe! That giant wreath would be gone in a day if I was there.

    As for the Santa suit, I'll try to post a pic. My mom was smart enough to get a few.

    ReplyDelete