Wednesday, December 12, 2012

ConGen - check!

Unbelievably, the list that was stressing me out a month and a half ago is pretty much complete. Since A-100 ended I've gotten a diplomatic passport and Nigerian visa, I purchased a car (and learned about the 1001 ways that a car will cost you more money than you thought it would), I bought a small mountain of consumables, I got all my TMs (travel orders basically), booked flights, wrote my introduction letters, received vaccinations for every disease known to man, and filled out lots and lots of paperwork. And today I finished ConGen with a slice of purple cake (thanks for that A!).

Suddenly things seem to be moving fast. I pack out next week, spend the holidays with family, do some quick online trainings, then I'm out of here!

I realize that my posts must be getting a bit repetitive. Unfortunately, I just don't have much to write about. Work is off-limits, obviously, but so much of my social life revolves around work now that it's hard to draw the line.

So in an effort to entertain my very demanding audience, here are some random pictures that are more interesting than me writing about how I have nothing to write.

#1 Mangosteens!!!!!
True, these are canned and thus not nearly as good as they could be, but still they made my day. In case you've never been to Asia, mangosteen is believed by many - including me - to be the tastiest fruit in the world. Also, I love that my Thai is still stuck somewhere back in the basement of my brain. I saw Aroy-D and immediately smiled. This is how you say 'tasty' in Thai and is an important phrase if you're going to Thailand because basically everything there is aroy-dee. (Just FYI you eat the white part of the mangosteen shown below. It's creamy and sweet and just melts in your mouth.)
#2 Takesi coffee!!!
Remember a million years ago when I was interning in Bolivia and posted about my trip to a coffee plantation? Well, to my delight it turns out that you can buy the coffee grown there - at the highest coffee plantation in the world - right at your neighborhood Whole Foods. It's actually very good, and I'm not just saying that because I got all teary-eyed from nostalgia.
 
#3 Sadly no picture for this one, but I had to give a shout-out to Cosmopolitan Grill in the middle of nowhere Alexandria off Route 1. It is one of two restaurants in the area serving food from the Balkans and after a year in the former Yugoslavia I can attest to its authenticity. They will even speak Serbian to you if you are so inclined. I recommend you try cevapcici or pljeskavica, ajvar and kajmak, and if you have any room left - burek. Thanks to the good friend who found this place so we could keep up the monthly exotic dinner tradition. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment