Monday, October 29, 2012

Miscellaneous

First thing:
Here is a link to another video about Lagos - part of a series apparently on the National Geographic Channel. It was pretty good, but it did cover a lot of the same ground as the BBC episode.

Second thing:
So, you may or may not know that it's raining in DC today. Actually, we're having a minor hurricane issue. We got the day off work and they closed down the metro. People emptied the shelves of bottled water. Target was sold out of flashlights. With nowhere to go and little else to do I have productively used my rainy day to purchase a car for Lagos! Figuring out how what to buy and where to get it and negotiating for the best price - especially as someone who hasn't ever purchased a car or driven in Africa before - was probably the most stressful item on my pre-departure to do list so I'm pretty pleased to have found something that matched the criteria and fit my budget. And you know, it's really shiny so that's nice too.

Third thing:
I started ConGen on Friday. As a consular coned officer I was relieved to find that the more I learn about consular work the more interesting it sounds to me. Everything I've heard about Lagos gives me the impression that this is going to be no ordinary consular job. Also, oh my goodness I had no idea the law was so complicated. One day in and my head is swimming in facts and itching to get my feet wet with real cases. I guess that's a good thing since I hope to be at post before the end of the year.

Fourth thing:
Speaking of getting to post, it's a more complex process than I originally thought. As with most things at State it's both heavy on the administrative detail and mostly self-directed. So you spend a lot of time waiting for certain types of orders to arrive, so that you can take them to someone else and have them signed and then submit them elsewhere and wait some more. I'm trying to think of it like a scavenger hunt. Except instead of prizes you get vaccinations and passports and paperwork. Woohoo!

Finally - I did eventually force myself to buy a significant portion of my consumables. Maybe even 50%. And I got lots of shots. So bring it on rabid dogs/cats/miscellaneous wild animals of Lagos! I'm ready for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment