Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Consumables. Ugh.

I tried, I really did. I took the afternoon, gathered all the recommendations from people who've been to post, and set out for the grocery store, with the goal of buying 1,250 pounds of consumables. (That's half of what I'm allowed - the idea is to ship half now and half later.) There are apparently lots of things I'll need too. While almost everything is theoretically available in Lagos I've heard that some of the staples (marshmallows, mac & cheese, pickled beets, you know - the bare essentials) are very, very expensive. So I determined to bite the bullet and stock up now.

The problem is that in order to do so I had to fight an impulse that has been instilled in me from birth - to never, ever buy anything. Ever. I'm not sure if this is just my family or if it's a midwestern thing, but I can distinctly remember that being allowed to buy one can of spaghettios was a huge deal when I was growing up. So picture me, rather pathetically trying to force myself to purchase 10 boxes of Lucky Charms and a year's supply of cake mix.

If you can believe it this is all I managed to get into the cart - after forcing myself back down the aisles three times to try and fill up a bit more. I think I'm just genetically predisposed to be cheap and indecisive.

Luckily I have 2 months left to try to redeem myself. We'll call this round one, the warm-up for my actual shopping extravaganza. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment