Sunday, September 9, 2012

Home, Sweet (temporary) Home

Well, here I am in Sunny Oakwood! It wasn't quite so sunny while I was moving in yesterday - in fact I got soaked moving my stuff in and hiking to and from the grocery store - but today it's gorgeous out.

Travel day was pretty easy. Thanks Mom and Dad for driving me to the airport and carting my extremely heavy suitcases around. I got here in the afternoon and so far I've unpacked, purchased a ton of groceries - hopefully enough to last two weeks - and explored the area just a bit. I can't wait to start exploring the Eden Center a bit more, but that will have to wait for a day when I'm a bit more settled.

r After hearing a lot about Oakwood over the years I was pretty curious, and a little nervous, but I think I'm going to enjoy it here. I got upgraded on arrival to a one-bedroom and it's pretty awesome. It's sort of a cross between an apartment and a hotel. They provide a few toiletries and cleaning products and things to tide you over until you can buy your own - like a hotel. But, just like an apartment you have a full kitchen, laundry machine (either in the room or down the hall) and lots of space to spread out. I could get used to this!

I had heard that Oakwood Falls Church wasn't very walkable, but the local Safeway and the metro are both about 20 minutes walking-distance. For someone who is used to a 30 minute walk to work all of last year the distances seem totally fine. And for the faint of heart - or those with children or disabilities - there are pretty frequent shuttles.

It's also kind of weird to be somewhere so full of Foreign Service people. I don't know what percent of the complex is FS, but it must be a lot. Everywhere I go I'm meeting new friends and mentors.

I'm off to a reception and then a concert tonight and then class starts tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment