Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Update

Things are going fine here in Paraguay (yep, I'm still in South America visiting my brother). I've seen a few of the sights and spent a lot of time with the extended family, which has been great. So far Paraguay has been 100% more relaxing than the rest of my travels this summer, and its exactly what I needed. I'll try to devote a separate post to Asuncion once I get back home and can upload all my pictures. Because, you know, talking without pictures is boring.

In the meantime, I thought I'd post a quick update about all the logistics for A-100. (In case you're one of those 'detail' people.)

First, I got my official invite pretty late, weeks after the regular invitation letters started going out. From what I hear this is standard for the fellows. They said something about it being handled through different offices. So future fellows, just be patient!

With the invite letter came a bunch of information and forms. It's all a little confusing, but basically, you write the housing people to set up housing, you write the transportation people to get your stuff shipped to DC, and I'm still trying to figure out who to write to get my plane tickets. There are lots of potential complicating factors - for people who have kids, or own property, or are moving from overseas - but luckily mine is the easiest case you could have. No kids, no pets, no house, not even that much stuff. The process seems very self-directed, which is what I've heard from others as well. No one is going to hold your hand and make sure you get your life organized so you need to be proactive.

The plans seem to be going fine. I have my housing assignment already and while it isn't very thrilling (ie I'm staying at Oakwood), it was the path of least resistance and I found that strangely tempting. Also the packout has me confused a bit. Apparently I'm the one who sets the pack-out date. It strikes me as a potentially bad idea to have the one person involved who has never handled a pack out before choosing the ideal date. Can it be the day before I move? Is that a bad idea? Any advice from bloggers who know the ropes would be much appreciated!

Other than that I'm just busy soaking up the last drops of South America. I'll be home this weekend and I could not be more thrilled. Til then, adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment