Friday, August 3, 2012

Home is...

Where did I leave off?

Oh yes, complaining about my hotel room in Cusco. Well, long story short I did something I've only done once before, ever. I asked for my money back and moved somewhere else. (The other time was a $20 hotel room in Gallup, NM. The biker gangs and the fact that the door wouldn't fully close - much less lock- tipped me off that a single 19 year old female was not going to be safe spending the night there.) This time I just had a snobby moment and decided that I'm not a poor student now and it's time I stopped acting like one. I found a more civilized hotel, bought myself a giant slice of chocolate cake with dulce de leche and camped out with the heater on full blast and the tv showing ridiculous cop dramas from the US. Clearly I was a bit homesick...

I saw Machu Picchu the next day. I'll give that it's own post later.

Then I spent a full day flying from Cusco to Lima to Sao Paolo to Asuncion. This also deserves its own post because I'm going to need a lot of space for all the complaining I plan to do about that trip. The good news however is that me and my important bag of stuff arrived safe and sound. I got to meet the Paraguayan inlaws and spend some quality time with the brother I haven't seen in way too long.

Paraguay so far has been beautiful and warm, even though this is their winter. We sat by a little lake and watched the waves go by. I wore actual shorts (for the first time this summer) and soaked up all the glorious heat. It made me very nostalgic for home. I think my bidding criteria might have a large weather component...

I'm torn between wanting to stay longer and savor the time with my brother and wanting to get home ASAP to see my parents. I'm just grateful to have had this opportunity at all. Pretty soon I won't be able to take this kind of time off, so I'm enjoying it while I can...

Well, that's it for now. You can expect plenty of updates from me this week, since my super awesome hotel has better internet than all the cafes of La Paz put together...

No comments:

Post a Comment