Saturday, July 28, 2012

Top of the World

Well, this is it. My internship ended yesterday. It's been a great ten weeks and a perfect introduction to my new job. I loved the people I worked with and I can tell now why they say that the people make the post. La Paz wouldn't have been half as fun without their generosity, humor and patience.

I am still quite literally, on top of the world. I don't have any vacation pictures to show you this time, but I wanted to crow a little bit about the work trip I took this week.

As you may or may not know, the embassies donate books to towns and schools around the world, and I had the opportunity to participate firsthand in one of our donations this week. And not only was I participating, but a certain intern I know got to write and deliver the speech on behalf of the Embassy, and it was a really inspiring experience. I have never felt more like I was representing my country (and more proud to be doing so) then while presenting the books to this town that didn't have a library until now.* It was the best way I can imagine to end my internship here and I am very grateful that my supervisor trusted me with that kind of responsibility. I can't show you pictures of the ceremony, since I feel like that crosses some sort of line, but a few pictures of the town can't hurt, right?
Oh, the cuteness...
 Some little girls joined us in a traditional dance after the ceremony. Needless to say, they were better dressed than we were, but I'd like to think we held our own with the dancing.


Sorry for the picture quality on this one, but I was supposed to be working after all. I just wanted to show you the guinea pigs the town raises.
Before lunch.

During lunch.

Yes, it's worse than eating Bambi. But, I have to say that I thought it was pretty tasty stuff (though not very meaty) and no one from the embassy got ill from it, so it was a smashing success. Although out of respect for several of my former pets I think I won't be cooking this dish at home.

I love the scenery in these little towns.


The next time you hear from me will be ???? I'm spending a couple weeks traveling and I have no idea how good my internet will be. All the best!


PS - Thanks for the comments! I love them and I have every intention of responding once I can do so from the comfort of somewhere other than the internet cafe. It's great to know that someone's reading.



*And just so you are aware, we donated over 200 brand-new, classic American children's books, all translated into Spanish. This is a bit of a step up from some of the 'donations' I've seen in the past, where people are just getting rid of their old, unwanted stuff. I guess when the embassy does things it does them right!

No comments:

Post a Comment