Monday, May 28, 2012

Lake Titcaca

I cannot say enough about this trip. It was gorgeous, and so incredibly unique. Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world (not sure why you can't navigate the others...more research is necessary). It was so high up that a certain blogger I know got major altitude sickness and ended up being sick all over everything. BUT...it was so lovely that even a little pesky sickness didn't seem so bad. I highly recommend a visit, particularly if you need to relax and get away from everything. Just take it from me and skip the hiking if the altitude is getting to you.

So first off - the lake is beautiful. It was cool, but not cold and perfect weather for exploring. It was also one of the quietest, most remote places I've ever been. Just picture a huge beautiful lake in the middle of nowhere and almost total silence, in many places you can't see a single sign of human life other than the terraces left by the Incas (or the Tihuanacus, I'm not 100% sure who built them).
I took almost 150 pictures, so obviously I can't post them all, especially with such an intermittent internet connection. But I'll try to post the highlights today and get a bit more in depth this week.  
I love the water, it wa gorgeous. There were a lot of little rowboats too. I can't figure out why they don't do more sailing, because the water was really rough.

Cholas! (forgive me if I spelled that wrong) Bolivian women still often wear the traditional outfit with the bowler hat. Men mostly just wear western clothes. These women were selling flowers and things outside Copacabana church. There's a story behind that which I'll try to write about later.

Terraces - the entire shoreline is terraced - I don't know how many miles it is, but the lake must have been home to a huge population in the past. It's really amazing.

The most beautiful place ever.  
This guy was great. He was some sort of village healer who they persuaded to come hang out with our tour group. I think this picture is where he's waiting patiently for the Portuguese guy with the cell phone to stop interrupting the ceremony. I swear, it's really not that complicated - why are people so terrible with their phones?
I have some more pictures of the llamas/alpacas/vicunas which I'll try to share later. Theorhetically I can now tell the difference between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment