Friday, April 13, 2012

Topkapi Palace

Topkapi Palace is directly behind the Hagia Sophia, just walk around the corner and bam, there you are.

I didn't get that many pictures here for two reasons. #1 I think it's just less photogenic. Mostly I remember a lot of empty courtyards, scraggly trees, and blank walls. #3 It was kind of expensive to see the good parts (the Harem) so we just saw the main areas of the palace.

Honestly, I know it's one of the big 'must sees' but I think if you have extremely limited time like we did it's fine to skip this. And if you do go, just be prepared to pay for all the extra stuff, like the Harem and a tour or whatever they offer. No sense wandering the empty courtyard by yourself.

Anyway, pictures:
A little building out front. No idea what it is for.

A nice porch next to an empty room. This is where I decided that they need to get some reenactment going.

I don't know why, but when I used to picture Turkey (before traveling there) this is how I would picture it. Well, I also pictured it warmer...

Ceiling dome!

Also notable was the view from the back of the palace, and the fact that they had an entire room for circumcisions. (It is just the once, right?)

Stay tuned for more Turkey tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment