Thursday, February 9, 2012

Another museum you (probably) haven't heard of

As part of my neverending and slow-paced quest to see everything in DC I visited the Corcoran Gallery of Art on Saturday. It's by the White House, on 17th and E if you're interested.

I really don't have much to say about it except that the art was engaging and I'm glad I went. I only got pictures of exhibits on the first floor - due to the rules, not just laziness on my part - but the other stuff was good too.


I love the style of this one. It's called Into Bondage by Aaron Douglas. It reminds me of Miguel Covarrubias, a Mexican painter who may just be my favorite artist. (His best work in my opinion is from Bali. In addition to paintings he wrote a book about the island which is very thorough.)

Close up of the same.


I forget the name of this one. And I realize now I should have cropped it and/or taken a bit more care with my photography. Oops.

These people are the parents of William Wilson Corcoran who founded the gallery. Little know fact? He was also the founder of the Columbian School, which would later become George Washington University.

No comments:

Post a Comment