Monday, October 3, 2011

It was cold and stormy weekend...

Luckily I spent the entire weekend hunched over my computer, so I didn't really notice.

Fall has certainly arrived in Washington DC. And not that cutesy apple-picking, dog-walking, cider-drinking kind of fall. No, this is more of the so-cold-I'm-wearing-three-layers-indoors kind of fall. (Of course, that could also have something to do with the fact that the apartment managers don't turn on the heat until mid-October.)

I only ventured out into the beautiful wind/rain/cold a three times this weekend. Once to visit the Thai Village in Georgetown. It was great, btw. I got some Mangosteen Juice, and some inedibly spicy somtam and larbgai. They also had muay thai (thai boxing) and sword fighting demonstrations along with traditional music and dancing. Despite the unpleasant weather it was great. It brought back all of my memories of Thailand from college (I was an exchange student in Bangkok). Though I suppose there are many things to like about every country, Thailand is one of my all-time favorite places - beautiful scenery, friendly and polite people, cheap travel, amazing food and rich culture. What's not to love?

My second escape was to the Honey Pig, an amazing Korean BBQ in Virginia somewhere (I wasn't driving and it was dark). I had a great time, and my friends all agreed we should meet up every month for foreign food. I'm counting my blessings that I'm in DC this year where I can get almost every kind of food available. (Though there aren't enough African cuisines in my opinion.)

Then of course there was my study group. I like the group, but could have done without the studying. Did I mention I have less than 7 months of grad school left? Not that I'm counting down or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment