Saturday, August 20, 2011

Old books



For my birthday a couple of years ago my brother got me these old books that I love(with a little hinting on my part). It's a whole series about Peter and Nancy - as far as I can figure, two perfectly behaved robot-children who travel the world with their endlessly wealthy and restless uncle. They have a very Nancy Drew appeal - only with pith helmets and steamboats and prop planes. When I read them I was struck with the wonderful idea that maybe back in the 1930s a little old lady traveled the world with her notebook and camera writing a series of books on geography for children.

My only complaint is that the Europe book completely bypasses Southeast Europe and Central Asia. Curious, but I guess then I've got quite a few countries left to visit myself...



No comments:

Post a Comment