Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dumbarton Oaks

Continuing my 'touristy-things-to-do-in-dc-for-free(or almost free)' series, ...

I went to Dumbarton Oaks a couple of weeks ago. I haven't gotten around to posting about it til now because it was gorgeous and I couldn't figure out which pictures were best.

A quick recap:
Dumbarton Oaks is a giant house in Georgetown with attached gardens. It costs 5 dollars to visit the gardens. They are stunning. The house has a museum attached, with exhibits on pre-Columbian, Byzantine, and European/Renaissance tapestries. (yes, I too thought it was a little random, but maybe they were going for stuff not covered by the Smithsonians?) The museum itself is free. I would highly recommend this one, and it was blissfully un-crowded even on a beatiful Saturday afternoon.

I loved the mosaics down by the pool. I also really loved the greenhouse (apparently used for growing oranges, because they called it an 'orangery')and all the little sculptures around the property. And check out the last picture.










Caption: Even when attacked by dogs, the deer-man managed to tastefully drape his robe.






Sorry it's a little blurry, but did you catch the interesting fact? This house belonged to a former Foreign Service family! So, future FSOs, you too can live in a ridiculously amazing mansion someday.

All you have to do is marry up.

No comments:

Post a Comment