Friday, June 24, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Sometime in the next few weeks we (myself and all the other fellows) are supposed to hear about applying for the overseas internship that we'll complete next summer. (In true FS fashion, the moment you start in one job you start thinking about the next.) The main reason we're hearing about this a year in advance is because we'll probably be applying in August or September like we did for the domestic internships, so we need to decide soon where we want to apply.

This has led to quite a bit of discussion about everyone's different strategies. I've heard it all, but my own strategy is ... evolving.

Initially I was (rather shamelessly) drawn to places where I would like to vacation, like...
Morocco
Rio de Janeiro
Nepal
Egypt
Fiji
South Africa
Cambodia
New Zealand

Then I thought maybe I should try out something more challenging; a place that would be difficult to handle for a 2 year stint, just to see how it goes, like...
Namibia
Sudan (do they let interns go there?)
Kazakhstan
Congo (Kinshasa)

Then I thought I should act like a (Type-A) grown-up and start trying to build up my 'career'. This would basically entail sticking with the region where I'm doing my domestic internship, where I have in-country experience and language skills and connections, ie the Balkans, especially...
Kosovo
Bosnia
Serbia
Montenegro
Croatia

Then again I've been advised to try a region where I don't have much experience, to broaden my horizons. Maybe...
Bolivia
Nicaragua
Rwanda
Madagascar
Colombia
Algeria
Japan

It's a difficult decision. Not because there's nowhere interesting to go, but because there are too many interesting places. I think I have it narrowed down finally, but I'll wait to see what the rules are and how I'm feeling in the fall. Either way, I'm glad to know that the final decision doesn't rest with me and whatever I choose to apply for, and whatever I get, I'll learn a ton and get my feet wet 'at post'.


Where would you apply to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment