Monday, May 30, 2011

How to get your (full) scores after the OA

As you may know, the Freedom of Information Act allows you to receive a detailed score breakdown from your oral assessment, but only if you specifically file a request.

I had heard that this request takes months to process, so I sent out my request within several days of my test. I received word back about a month and a half later, stating that I hadn't provided enough information. It turns out they wanted my birthdate and birthplace, which is funny, because the sample letter that State provides doesn't include either of those fun facts. Instead you need to consult their 26 page guide, available here where it turns out that for a score request, because it is considered personal data, you need to provide a bit more information.

I know this is a boring post, but if you're planning on taking the OA, it's worth remembering. On test day all you will receive is a number (your overall score, say 4.2, 3.8, 5.1, etc) and a check next to the segments of the exam that you passed (Group Exercise, Structured Interview, and Case Management). But if you write for your scores, you can get a bit more - such as your actual score on each section. I can't confirm what other information you get until I've received mine back, but in the past people have posted fairly detailed breakdowns on the FSOA yahoo group. I'm hopeful that mine will provide a little extra insight, and really, I'm mostly just curious to see it.

I'll try to post a copy of my request once I know that it actually was accepted, and if any reader happens to have more information, feel free to set the record straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment