Thursday, March 3, 2011

Digression



First off, just wanted to show off my attempt at ratatouille. (I didn't have a big pan, so I had to make do with a pie tin and the cupcake pan... resourcefulness. That's what I'm going to call this.) I got the recipe from Smitten Kitchen. It's the same site where I got the failed marshmallow recipe though, just so you know. It's very good, I highly recommend it and it makes up for the guilt-trip I got eating an entire pumpkin pie by myself this week.



So enough digressing... I've been studying for the OA and thought I would share my thoughts. Well, actually I've been psyching up and preparing, not so much studying. I read an article today that a friend sent me. It reminded me of how much I was originally stressing out about the OA and about attempting to join the FS in the first place. (Here's the article) The author argues that smart girls don't attempt challenging things because they believe their abilities are fixed - thus if they can't do it on the first try they won't be able to do it ever.

I disagree!

I was a smart girl in school (still am :) and I am definitely an exception to this 'rule' - if it is a rule at all. It might interest you to know that in kindergarten I was painfully shy (I'm talking crying because people spoke to me shy). I've now completely outgrown that shyness, in part just because I grew up but in part because I worked hard to become the kind of person I wanted to be. I've experienced the same thing no matter what the challenge. I have bad handwriting? Practice and make it better. I can't cook? Take a class! Everyone else knows something that I don't? Work twice as hard and prepare. In fact, I consider my ability to grow and learn and overcome to be one of my best qualities.

So I guess what I would say to Ms. Halvorson (the author) is "Maybe some smart girls don't think they can change who they are, but the smartest girls know better."

I don't actually have a better answer as to why girls apparently don't take on challenges as readily as boys. Maybe they don't want to risk failure, maybe boys have an inflated view of their own abilities, or maybe...it's just that they're choosing their battles more carefully. Either way, I look around me and I see women taking on huge challenges all the time, so to hell with the statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment