Monday, February 21, 2011

Not quite a domestic goddess yet

So today I attempted to fulfill a dream of mine. I was on a high, after checking 'ice skate at the sculpture garden' off my life list (which was awesome by the way) and making my first edible scones. So I thought, if there was ever a moment to try to make homemade marshmallows, this is it.

Ha.

They're setting/chilling right now, so I can't definitively say I ruined them yet, but they are a weird yellowish color that just seems wrong. And my arm is about to fall off. Apparently, marshmallows are one of those things you need the right equipment to make. As in, an electric mixer. Or a really burly assistant. I had neither, so after 40 minutes I gave up on the mixing by hand and just decided they were ready.

*sigh*

Still, if I ever do learn how to make marshmallows from scratch then I can have them in any country I travel to. (This is a big reason why I've been working on my cooking skills all year. That and the fact that I am loving being back in the states where I can get every ingredient I want at the corner store.) Next I need to learn how to make pumpkin pie mix. And peanut butter. And dr. pepper.....

5 comments:

  1. haha... too bad about the marshmallows... but keep the posts coming, especially info about Pickering! Ive applied this year for Pickering and am interested in the process. I follow your blog and just wanted to say thanks for the info..

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie!
    I'll try to add more about Pickering. The next step is the OA, coming up on April 5th. Maybe the sudden desire to fill my waking hours with cooking is in some way related to my nerves?
    And good luck by the way. By the time I heard back from Pickering I had almost forgotten that I ever applied. It's a good prep for the FS though - patience, patience, patience. :)
    -jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the upcoming OA! I do have a quick question... when you originally heard back from pickering, was it through email or mail? I have an opportunity to go out of the country for a few months for a volunteer opportunity, and the timing will be around the time that I should hear back from Pickering, and Im hoping that they send electronic notification. How was it for you? Please let me know if you can! Thanks!
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Via email. So international travel shouldn't be a problem. Did you apply for grad or undergrad pickering?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applied for the grad program, Im very excited about it, but Im afraid to get my hopes up... but I appreciate the information! Thanks for the blog info though! Keep it coming :)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete