Sunday, February 27, 2011

My dream car


I am soooo excited today. I was out at brunch when I saw a type of car that I hadn't seen in years, one that my neighbor used to keep in his barn, under a pile of junk. It is my dream car. Actually, I'm not sure if it's a Jeep DJ5 (above) or a LandRover Defender (below), but either works.



Clearly, this is a car that is made for adventure. For safaris and jungle treks and fleeing dinosaurs. I have wanted one since I was about 10 years old, but wasn't able to find just the right kind until now. So my bucket list just got 1 item longer. Someday I'd like to buy, restore, and drive a crazy safari jeep.

So, long story short. Best. Car. Ever. The one I saw today had a reasonable looking dash, but the one I remember from my neighbor's house had an amazing panel instead of a dashboard. It had switches and toggles. Yes, toggles to control the car. Amazing.

Here's some pictures of something roughly similar.



(These are from a jeep dj5 if you're interested.)

I wonder if they let diplomats ride around in old-fashioned rust-buckets like this? I wonder if it's harder or easier to get them fixed in the third world where (presumably) everyone else is driving 'vintage' cars too?

3 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that a woman will take fancy to jeeps. I guess some women prefer manly vehicles, huh? But I know the feeling of driving vintage cars. I mean, there are no high-tech features in those cars, and that fact somehow gives me the feeling that I'm still in my younger years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! It’s really nice to know a girl who is interested with jeeps. :D Jeeps have an enormous sense of quality. They have a sturdy exterior and they can run over muddy and uneven surfaces with no problem at all. My favorite part about jeeps is that it can accommodate a lot of passengers, and still have a lot of room left for cargo.

    Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, we share same interest! Next year, I’ll buy a Jeep Wrangler Islander, and I’m so excited about it!! :D It’s a used car, but we’ve inspected it thoroughly before deciding to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete