Well, what a long strange trip it’s been!
2019 was not really what I expected but looking back I’d call it a success and I still feel immensely privileged to have all the blessings I do. My brother’s family got their immigrant visas and moved to the states this year. My house started paying off - both financially and personally. Offspring is healthy as a horse and has started walking and talking. Work is going well. It really is a wonderful life.
But enough of that nostalgia! Time to review those resolutions for 2019 and see how I did!
New Year’s Resolutions 2019
- Learn to make sushi - done! Don’t do it often and I usually do sushi bowls rather than rolls, but São Paulo has been a great place to practice with its huge Japanese community and plentiful Asian groceries.
- Visit one new country (Brazil doesn’t count) - Done! We visited Argentina this summer which I wrote about previously.
- Go on a big vacation within Brazil (something like an Amazon cruise or Carnival in Rio) - um, no. Unless the farm visit counts we went NOWHERE in Brazil. Big disappointment. The lack of trains and easy travel infrastructure has been challenging, but maybe next year.
- See the top 75 films according to the American Film Institute - Done!
- Earn $100 via one or more side hustles - so, it’s kind of cheating to use my house for this since it isn’t a side hustle, but I have done zero other earning so I’m just going to have to cheat and say the rental income counts
- Take tennis lessons and/or join a sailing club in São Paulo - exactly one tennis lesson
- Read one book each in Italian, Portuguese, and either French or Serbian - will make it. Italian and Portuguese done and I’ve only got a few pages left in the French book
- Turn my last area for improvement into a strength on my EER - I certainly think so. I have certainly taken on lots of opportunities and feel more confident with my new skill set. I hope others have taken notice!
- Host some sort of group - yes! I hosted a brunch, plus a kid party, a baby shower and I’ve got a couple of other plans in the works
- Get promoted - sadly with almost no time in the rating period this was a long shot
- Learn a DIY skill - I totally forgot this was even a goal. Oops. Obviously no progress was made.
And now for next year...
New Year’s Resolutions 2020
- Make bagels from scratch - never know when this might come in handy and in the Foreign Service it’s often difficult or impossible to find bagels
- Learn to stir fry and make tomato sauce without a recipe
- See a dermatologist and/or have laser hair removal - I would like to do just ONE thing for my own self/ego this year
- Complete duolingo Arabic
- Take one international trip
- Take one Brazil trip
(is it cheating if I have these trips both booked already?)
- Solve a rubix cube
- Finish the Suzuki piano book 1
- Watch the AFI top 90 films -(top 100 would have been too many)
- Blog once/month
- Write 100 pages of whatever I want
- Eat 90% of our family meals at the table like civilized human beings